You want to eat these right? Imagine them with a piping hot bowl of chunky soup. Or maybe some gravy. No, an egg and ham for breakfast! Whatever your craving – these were a hit with my boys.
I wanted the flakiness of a pasty dough so I adapted the pie crust recipe from Danielle Walker at Against All Grain. Definitely check out her blog Against All Grain by clicking here.
Here is my recipe:
FLUFFY PALEO BISCUITS – yields about a dozen biscuits
2 1/2 cups of blanched almond flour
1 TBSP of coconut flour
1 large cold egg plus one cold egg white
5 tsp of ice water
2-3 tsp honey
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt
3 1/2 TBSP of palm shortening
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place all ingredients except the palm shortening in the food processor with the “s” blade attachment. Blend well.
3. Cut small balls of shortening into the processor distributing them evenly around the bowl. Then pulse until just combined.
4. Scrape the dough out of the bowl and mold it into a ball. Coat it with a thin layer of coconut flour and place the ball into a small glass bowl and chill in the refrigerator about 20 minutes.
5. Place the ball onto a silicone mat or a piece of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment over the ball and roll the dough out to about 1″ thick. Use a 2 1/2 inch biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out out biscuits. Use a flat knife or pie server to carefully place the biscuits on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden on the edges. Serve immediately or freeze once cool and reheat as needed. Enjoy!
*Make sure the biscuits have good height of about 1″ or more before baking or else they will turn into cookies.